Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Blind Battle Tilt

To begin, a simple poker fact, restated: The more players you have at your table, the more likely that there is someone who has been dealt a strong hand. Therefore, the wiser it is to play a tight game. When you move from a 9- or 10-handed table down to 6-max, by extension, you can loosen up your playable hand range. There's a much better chance that your A4s or KJ is the best hand PF. When you get all the way down to heads-up, it becomes even harder to put your opponent on a great hand.

So this is my problem...I get into battles that soar out of control when I am heads up PF. Some people defend their blinds with irrational fervor, but I tend to demonstrate similar irrationality by refusing to put my opponent on a decent hand. And the tilt factor is compounded by the fact that it seems to become personal...it becomes a one-on-one competition with egos on display.

Now, I'm not referring to play in a heads-up match, but to Blind Battles in 6-max play.

The following 2 hands occurred in quick succession last night, and caused me to examine my Blind Battle Tilt issue.

Full Tilt Poker Game #6214932751: Table Europa (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:49:57 ET - 2008/04/28
Seat 1: noldmax ($62.50) <-- SB
Seat 2: stolpskottet ($52) <-- BB
Seat 3: verBAL_ASSassin ($50.75)
Seat 4: AeroDynamical ($74)
Seat 5: sergeg89 ($23.65)
Seat 6: NateDiz ($65.25)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to noldmax [6h Kh]
verBAL_ASSassin folds, AeroDynamical folds, sergeg89 folds, NateDiz folds
noldmax raises to $1.50 <-- Suited K more than enough to raise in Blind Battle
stolpskottet calls $1

*** FLOP *** [8c Ks 5c]
noldmax bets $2
stolpskottet raises to $9
noldmax folds
stolpskottet wins the pot ($6.65)

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $7 Rake $0.35
Board: [8c Ks 5c]
Seat 1: noldmax (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: stolpskottet (big blind) collected ($6.65), mucked

I hate this spot. Even though I have top pair, I'm out of position, and the raise was big enough to ensure that a lot more money may be going into the pot by the end. It's too expensive to get involved there where I'm easily behind to a better King, not to mention a number of other potential holdings.

But of course, part of me is pegging this guy as an aggressor who was probing for weakness. As you'll see in the next hand, which occurred one orbit later, I used this line of thought to justify a big move.

Full Tilt Poker Game #6214997965: Table Europa (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:55:07 ET - 2008/04/28
Seat 1: noldmax ($56.75) <-- SB
Seat 2: stolpskottet ($61.40) <-- BB
Seat 3: verBAL_ASSassin ($50)
Seat 4: AeroDynamical ($72.75)
Seat 5: sergeg89 ($24.35)
Seat 6: NateDiz ($62.75)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to noldmax [6d 6h]
verBAL_ASSassin folds, AeroDynamical folds, sergeg89 folds, NateDiz folds
noldmax raises to $1.50
stolpskottet calls $1

*** FLOP *** [9h 3d 4h]
noldmax bets $2
stolpskottet raises to $9
noldmax calls $7 <-- Twice in a row, so I suspect a play.

*** TURN *** [9h 3d 4h] [Ah] <-- Gives me a heart draw (albeit low)
noldmax checks
stolpskottet bets $15
noldmax raises to $46.25, and is all in <-- Represent hitting the A, or the flush
stolpskottet calls $31.25 <-- Uh oh, quick call
noldmax shows [6d 6h]
stolpskottet shows [Kh 9c] <-- Disgusting, I'm dead to a 6

*** RIVER *** [9h 3d 4h Ah] [6s] <-- A stream of pixelated light from the heavens!
noldmax shows three of a kind, Sixes
stolpskottet shows a pair of Nines
noldmax wins the pot ($110.50) with three of a kind, Sixes
stolpskottet adds $45.35

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $113.50 Rake $3
Board: [9h 3d 4h Ah 6s]
Seat 1: noldmax (small blind) showed [6d 6h] and won ($110.50) with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 2: stolpskottet (big blind) showed [Kh 9c] and lost with a pair of Nines

I owe at least 2 weeks of not complaining about bad beats. Someone please hold me to it.

I also need to cool off in the blind battles. A better choice may have been to reraise the flop, rather than pushing the turn, since I could just have easily established my standing, and possibly cut my losses had my opponent pushed over the top.

It's important not to forget that in a blind battle, you are only playing for the measly blinds. Don't let that fact become clouded by your ego, as you turn it into a battle for pride against an opponent who may just be on a nice run.

No comments: