Thursday, May 1, 2008

All Hail The Kite Runner!

We here at CK have a special love for book clubs. Personally, I enjoy the incentive to curl up with a good book, knowing that you can discuss interesting and confusing passages with your closest girlfriends, and draw parallels with our struggles as young women in a world where our role has become amorphous where it once was clear. But mostly I love it because it means I get a free pass out for a night of poker, biatches!

I went to a local poker shop and my friend Hef came, which is a big help to me at cash games, because I find it infinitely easier to play my tight style of game when I can chat it up during hands I'm not playing. I was expecting to get in a solid evening of 1-2NL, but little did I know that the evening would be almost wholly focused on 1-2 PLO. This is how it goes when you play round and round - hold em flies and omaha drags. So I have almost nothing to relate about hold em play on the evening. I didn't pick up any big starting hands, but I won a few speculative pots, and didn't lose anything big. But on the Omaha side, it was a different story.

It became clear pretty early that a portion of the table wasn't very comfortable with PLO, so I resolved to loosen up and play a lot of pots, which ended up being easy, because we saw very few PF raises. In my first big hand, I was dealt Kc-Jh-8c-6c and limped for $2 from MP. 8 players saw the flop of A-8-8. I potted for $20 and got 2 callers. The turn was a nice but not entirely comforting K, and I fired $50. The same 2 players called. The river was a 6, and one player checked to me. I had about $60 behind and tanked for a minute, trying to decide whether to bet here or not. What do you do here?? I have the 4th nuts, and a pretty short stack behind, and I haven't faced a raise of this hand yet. I eventually checked and the last player checked. The first guy showed 8-6 for a smaller boat than my K-8, and the third guy had A-K (nice). I think the check was a mistake, because I highly doubt the 8-6 boat would've folded, and the A-K guy was certainly bad enough to call there too.

In any case, I bounced up $160 pretty quickly.

During the next Omaha round, I picked up 3-4-6-8 in the BB, and saw a 7-handed flop of 4s-5s-Qc, giving me an open-ender, but really only giving me 6 outs, since I'm donw with any spade. A $10 flop bet by a LP player was called by myself and one other player. The turn was a very nice 2c, so I led out with a PSB of $45. Both players called, so I knew I would be sweating a spade or a bigger straight card. I literally thought to myself - "dealer, put a red J out there". And bing, Jd on the river, leaving me with the nuts. I bet $55 for value and both opponents folded. Not sure anything would have gotten a call there. Regardless, picked up another $130 and was sitting up around $250.

Then I took a brutal beating when I overplayed A-A-Q-5 (rainbow), C-betting and then potting the turn for almost my entire stack. A loose player called my turn pot with a big flush and straight draw and connected on the river. He had some 15-20 outs, but I was still steamed to have blown my profits. I was down $100 at that point.

Fortunately, I had Hef on my right, and we tangled in a pot shortly thereafter. I picked up Jc-9c-8s-3s, a borderline but playable hand and limped in along with 5 or so other players. The flop came Kh-10h-7c, giving me an open-ender, but only the low end making the nuts. I also, presumably, needed to dodge a heart. It checked to Hef, who bet the pot for $20. I called along with 2 more players. The turn was gin - a non-spade 6, giving me the nut straight. I pushed in my remaining stack of about $90. The only caller was Hef, who turned over Qh-Jh-9-5. He had, by my count, 18 outs to win and 5 to split. We asked the dealer to run it 3 times to slim the variance but assure a winner. It came 6d the first time, 4d the second time, and 7d the third time. A clean sweep for me! I was giddy and Hef was exasperated....the way I like it.

This put me back up around $70 on the night and took me down to my last orbit, where I had one more big hand. But this post is getting overlong and I have work to do, so I'll save it for tomorrow and post it as a quiz hand.

Thanks for reading,
noldmax

No comments: