Monday, April 14, 2008

Facing a Pot-Sized Bet on the River

We've been here before, talking about what to make of a pot-size bet on the river. Frankly, I still don't know what it means. Does anyone have an opinion...is it generally strong, or is it weak? I almost never do it, so it's hard for me to say. Then I've got one more tricky spot from this past weekend.

Hand 1

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
BB: $50
Hero (UTG): $101.55
CO: $51.60
BTN: $9.30
SB: $18.05

Pre-Flop: J A dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $1.75,
CO raises to $6,
3 folds,
Hero calls $4.25 <-- Bad call?

Flop: ($12.75) 2 4 A (2 Players)
Hero checks,
CO bets $7.50,
Hero calls $7.50 <-- Considered a raise here...should I have?
Turn: ($27.75) 5 (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($27.75) Q (2 Players)
Hero checks,
CO bets $27.75,
Hero?


Hand 2

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
MP: $16.75
CO: $59.40
BTN: $28.45
SB: $7.40
BB: $50
Hero (UTG): $50.75

Pre-Flop: 9 9 dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $1.75,
MP folds,
CO raises to $6,
3 folds,
Hero calls $4.25

Flop: ($12.75) 2 2 8 (2 Players)
Hero checks,
CO bets $0.50, <-- Very strange, no?
Hero?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hand 1: I'm in that check/call position all the time with a hand I feel is probably 2nd best.....I don't think it's a bluff, but I'd call just to see why the check on the turn. When he shows you a better hand, make note to not call raises out of position with AJ.
Hand 2: maybe a misclick, monster, or just a bad play, I raise to $10 and bail if I get action.

Anonymous said...

h1 - i liked a raise on the flop instead of a call. also preferred leading out the river. as played, i'd still probably call the river. it doesnt look like a value bet, but he may have qq/aq and went with a big bet to look weak. to me the turn check, river pot after you check looks weak. but he may have hit his 2 outer with qq, i'm sure he at least gives you credit for ace-weak, which is what you have.

h2 - just raise half-pot and see what happens

noldmax said...

H1: I think the turn check is the key to reading this hand. Does AQ/AK check that turn? Why would it? I think the biggest concern has to be QQ hitting the river dream card.

Anonymous said...

I definitely like a raise in H1 on the flop. Why call the 3bet OOP to play so passively if you flop the A. Raise now and find out if he has you beat and fold out hands like QQ.

No idea what that means but i'm raising his min bet

Anonymous said...

H2 - many times i have seen online players with AK AQ fire a min bet on flop (after missing) to try and have the player who clicks the auto check/fold button when they also have missed teh flop. AK sounds about right - raise