Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Live Hand Results

So in the last post I ended with a question about my very last hand from a live 1-2 cash game session Monday night. Here is the full hand and results.

Position: UTG
Stack: $390
Hand: Ac-8c
Action: I limp for $2, UTG+1 limps, Ed raises to $15, it folds around, I call, UTG+1 calls.
Pot: $45

Flop: Ad-Jh-4c
Action: I check (considering a raise or call if Ed C-bets), UTG+1 checks, Ed checks

Turn: 8s
Action: I bet $25, UTG+1 calls, Ed folds
Pot: $95

River: Ks
Action: I checked here, thinking my best chance to make money here is to check-call, and because I don't want to face a raise. UTG+1 deliberates and then bets out $100 (river PSB!). I didn't note in the first post, but UTG+1 has about $120 behind after making his river bet. Well, I stuck with my plan here and called. My thinking was that it's hard to put him on a better two pair, since AK would have raised PF, and AJ would have either lead the flop or raised on the turn. But there's certainly a chance that he has a worse two pair, including KJ, J8, or A4. It's also hard to put him on a set, because I would figure a set (4s, 8s, or Js) to have raised the turn as well. The nut holding would be Q-10, but I almost immediately dismissed it, since it would have meant he was calling the turn bet with just 4 outs on the river.

But he turned over Q-10, and I shipped away $150 on my last hand of the night. It was an awful river card. But my real mistake was not realizing that he had not 4 but 8 outs with Q-10 on the turn, since he had a double-gutter, with a 9 making him the nut straight as well.

Rodney picked up on this and made a nice read in his post. Hef also picked up on it, and also added AK as possible holding (which I disagree with, since it would be such a strange line to have taken). But still, aren't the other possibilities likely enough to make this a call? For my opponent's line, I think KJ, J8, A4, or a bluff are certainly within his range.

And I'm making that call regardless of it being my last hand of the night.

No comments: