Saturday, March 29, 2008

Perilous 2-Pair

I ran very nicely this weekend, which was essential in cushioning the blow of watching UT get eaten alive by Memphis on Sunday. Memphis looked incredible. We looked decent, but completely outclassed. I will say this - it's easier to watch a game like that, getting beaten from the start, than to bite your nails and feel your blood pressure soar as the lead changes constantly throughout the game, or as you anticipate a 2nd half metldown and blowing a slim lead.

I'm almost done my token challenge, and it's going well. I turned my 4 $26 tokens into 2 $75 tokens. And I played one $75 token 9-man Sit-N-Go already, coming in 3rd for a $120 cash. Had a really tough spot early in that tourney...I'm going to pose a question about it later in this post. One more $75 SNG to go.

The cash games were good too. I got a nice unexpected bump by taking down a 90-man, $10 multi-table tourney (MTT) on Saturday for $230.

For discussion, I have two hands featuring one of the two trickiest made hands you can have - two-pair (the other being top-pair-top-kicker - TPTK). It's so easy to forget that two-pair is just marginally stronger than one-pair. I almost always try to exercise some pot control when I hit it. But sometimes pot control is completely out of your hands.....

Hand 1
Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
BB: $52.30
UTG: $38.10
Hero (BTN): $60.70
SB: $50.70

Pre-Flop: A J dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG raises to $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, SB calls $1.50, BB folds

Flop: ($5.75) J A T (3 Players) <-- Nice but scary flop
SB checks,
UTG checks,
Hero bets $4,
SB calls $4,
UTG raises to $21.75,
Hero?


Hand 2
And this one is from the $75 token SNG. Very early on. Opponent has already doubled up and knocked one guy out.

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds, 8 Players
MP1: 1,560
MP2: 1,455
CO: 3,165
BTN: 1,440
Hero (SB): 1,410
BB: 1,500
UTG: 1,470
UTG+1: 1,500

Pre-Flop: (45) A 9 dealt to Hero (SB)
4 folds, CO calls 30, BTN calls 30, Hero calls 15, BB checks

Flop: (120) 9 A J (4 Players)
Hero bets 90, BB folds, CO calls 90, BTN folds

Turn: (300) 3 (2 Players)
Hero bets 200, CO raises to 400, Hero calls 200

River: (1,100) Q (2 Players)
Hero checks,
CO bets 1,050,
Hero?

5 comments:

Stephen and Cara said...

Hand 1- I think his bet was fishy, seems like an attempt to scare you off... why did he not just go all-in? I'd put him all-in here.

Hand 2- I'd fold... way too many better hands out there, plus its a tournament. Live to fight another day.

czervick said...

Hand 1 is fishy, but I don't think his bet is fishy because he doesn't have a hand. I think his bet is fishy because he has a medium hand that can be beefed up possibly, but either way, he obviously doesn't want it going any further. I'm sure he doesn't have the Ace. He is repping it, but no one needs to rep an Ace quite that strong after the flop. Unless he is on A,4 or similar. Either way, Shannon and I agree...push it

Hand 2 - I doubt he hit a flush, but whether you have the better hand or not, this is an easy one to walk away from in a tourney. Cash game, maybe I call, but not here. Don't even think about this hand any further, you played it "right", he apparantly played it better.

Anonymous said...

1- he raises preflop utg, then checkraises a pot sized bet? he probably has you beat already with tt or kq. fold

2- given tourney situation, i'd fold. no room for error.

noldmax said...

on Hand 1, I have no doubt at this point that he has some sort of hand. He raised PF, then made a big check-raise on the flop. I have to think he has a made but vulnerable hand. Wouldn't AA, JJ, 1010, KQ play it this way? Would AK or AQ play it this way, or just lead out?

What are your thoughts about his min-raise on the turn? I think that typically signifies significant strength. That move scared the crap out of me.

Anonymous said...

I don't fold top 2 there in a small buy in cash game...all you can eat

I would have pushed that fool on the turn.....his push on the river is either diamonds or a bluff....why so much if he hasn't hit the flush......he has Ax diamonds, so next hand