Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Karmic Reprisal

I didn't knock on nearly enough wood. I should have been walking around the neighborhood with a baseball bat, hammering every tree in sight. I was tantalizingly close to bouncing up to 50NL, before this...

- AA < AhQh
- QQ < KK, though I should have gotten away from this one, after getting re-reraised PF and with a J-high flop taking away one of the very few remaining hands I could beat. I talked myself into thinking AK was in his range, but who plays AK like that PF? If someone is overplaying AK PF, it's usually a push, no? The more I think about it, the more this should have been an easy fold. What can I say? I'm an optimist, not a realist.
- AA < QQ, just calling a re-raise PF, and then getting it in on a Q-high flop.
- And of course, the always forgiveable KK < AA.
- One more to top it off:

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

MP: $47.15
Hero (CO): $27.65
BTN: $25.25
SB: $30.70
BB: $42.05
UTG: $22.70

Pre-Flop: A Q dealt to Hero (CO)
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.85, BTN raises to $3.20, 2 folds, Hero calls $2.35

Flop: ($6.75) A Q K (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($6.75) 5 (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($6.75) 8 (2 Players)
Hero bets $3, BTN raises to $7.50, Hero calls $4.50

Results: $21.75 Pot ($1.05 Rake)
Hero mucked A Q (two pair, Aces and Queens) and LOST (-$10.70 NET)
BTN showed A K (two pair, Aces and Kings) and WON $20.70 (+$10 NET)

Well played by the villain...I'm supposed to throw that away, right?

I'm gonna have to go run some numbers and figure out if I actually make any more profit with big pocket pairs (QQ-AA) than I do with the rest of the field oh PF hands.

Ta-daa! My first cry-session! Hope you enjoyed. I resolve to post some thought-provoking hands next time, and maybe even a couple that I won. But admit it, you kind of enjoyed reading about my abject flailing, didn't you.

No comments: