Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Buckle Up!

Sat down at a table that was playing pretty wild with PF raises - a lot of 3-bets, 4-bets and shoves. Now, I like to think I have a decent understanding of how to play these tables - selectively bluff-4-betting, 3- and 4- betting for value with a wider range, and tightening up if I start getting loose call-downs. The problem is, knowing the right way to play effectively doesn't change the fact that the play at a table like this is going to be high variance, guaranteed. So it takes a certain about of stomach to go along with the right strategic approach.

In the following hand, my villain was playing 38/34/5 with a 3-bet of 18% over 60 hands. He had 3-bet my button steal the past 2 orbits and I had folded both times.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
MP: $60.95
Hero (CO): $121.25
BTN: $25
SB: $54.50
BB: $23.25
UTG: $52.30
Pre-Flop: 7 7 dealt to Hero (CO)
2 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, BTN folds, SB raises to $5.75, BB folds, Hero calls $4

Flop: ($12) 6 4 5 (2 Players)
SB bets $8, Hero raises to $23, SB raises to $48.75 and is All-In, Hero calls $25.75

Turn: ($109.50) 6 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
River: ($109.50) 8 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $109.50 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed 7 7 (a straight, Eight high) and WON $106.50 (+$52 NET)
SB showed K J (a pair of Sixes) and LOST (-$54.50 NET)

Right strategy or not, playing against a villain like this requires getting your stack in light. If that type of high-variance game doesn't jive well with your emotional stability, then I can understand stepping away, however +EV it might be if you commit to playing it correctly.

So what's your general reaction to tables like this?
a) Strap me in, I love the rush - this is what we play this game for!
b) Sounds hectic but I can manage it. I can stand the swings and if I play sound, I should come out on top.
c) Why bother? I'm more comfortable with lower variance games, and there are plenty out there. Less experience in this type of game means I'm more likely to make a costly mistake.

I ended up doing pretty well at the crazy table, but ran into some tough spots at my other tables. How would you approach the following two spots?

H1)
Villain here had solid stats - 17/12/3.0 over 84 hands.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
UTG: $84.70
CO: $32.20
Hero (BTN): $56.75
SB: $50
BB: $60.85
Pre-Flop: 3 K dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1

Standard button steal.

Flop: ($3.25) 8 3 J (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero bets $2.25, BB calls $2.25

Turn: ($7.75) 3 (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5

River: ($17.75) 6 (2 Players)
BB bets $10,
Hero?

H2)
I'm pretty sure I had some sort of stats on my villain in this next hand, but I don't have them now. So assume a random open-limping type.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
Hero (BB): $26.70
UTG: $12.94
MP: $13.51
CO: $25.15
BTN: $22.49
SB: $3.25
Pre-Flop: Q 3 dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks

Flop: ($1) Q 5 Q (4 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, MP folds, CO calls $0.80, SB folds

Turn: ($2.60) 7 (2 Players)
Hero bets $1.75, CO raises to $5,
Hero?

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Buckle up and don't forget the dramamine.

WillWonka said...

As long as there only 1 or 2 crazies, I am always sitting this table and waiting for my spot as it will always come; unless of course if somebody beats me too it.

H1) I tend to wimp out here typically. I'm calling of course; but I don't think a raise is terrible.

H2) I think I like a raise here (as opposed to pushing). I'm not folding even if he reraises; but we might get a call from a raise to something like $15.

ZachSellsMagic said...

1) I don't know how the river could have helped him, and given the board it's unlikely that he check-calls a set twice. Given the copious amounts of draws that missed, he might be turning his miss into a bluff, and though he won't have enough to call a lot of the time, I think we're missing value by not raising here.

2) This is rarely a bluff, in my experience, and that's pretty much all you beat. Calling will just result in the same decision on the river. I think I fold here a lot, as nitty as that may be.

Memphis MOJO said...

On hand #1, I'm never raising, no way. I would just call, but I'm a nit.