Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Trio of Troublesome Hands

Been pretty busy around here, between fantasy football drafts (2 last week), friends visiting and visiting friends. But I got in enough poker last night to find myself in a good bit of trouble. What do I do in these 3 spots?

H1)
No stats at the time.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
SB: $88.80
BB: $28.30
Hero (UTG): $76.55
MP: $39.80
CO: $50
BTN: $101.25
CO posts $0.50
Pre-Flop: Q A dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $2.25, MP raises to $5, 4 folds, Hero calls $2.75

Flop: ($11.25) Q 8 3 (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP bets $7, Hero calls $7

Turn: ($25.25) 9 (2 Players)
Hero?
Obviously a nice turn card, but how best to play it here?


H2)
I didn't have any stats at the time, but villain ended up 23/12/1.4 over 69 hands.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
UTG: $71.75
MP: $81.65
Hero (CO): $50.75
BTN: $50
SB: $48.20
BB: $53.80
Pre-Flop: A J dealt to Hero (CO)
2 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, BTN folds, SB calls $1.50, BB folds

Flop: ($4) 5 J 4 (2 Players)
SB bets $2.50, Hero raises to $6.50, SB calls $4

Turn: ($17) T (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $8, SB calls $8

River: ($33) 6 (2 Players)
SB checks,
Hero?
Is this a must-bet spot? If so, how much?

H3)
Villain was 29/6/5 over 35 hands.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
Hero (SB): $33.83
BB: $14.56
UTG: $8.85
MP: $63.59
CO: $25
BTN: $31.14
Pre-Flop: T T dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, BTN raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.25, BB folds, BTN calls $2.25

Flop: ($6.75) 6 8 4 (2 Players)
Hero bets $4.50, BTN raises to $27.89 and is All-In,
Hero?

5 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Are your fantasy FB teams any good?

ZachSellsMagic said...

Hand 1: It's all read dependent, I guess. If you put him on an overpair and his 3bet PF was legit, you're still behind here obviously, and it's a function of how often you think you can get him off his hand. If you think he's good enough to fold, you can check raise the turn and bet the river. Otherwise, I'd check call, and probably check fold if he bets the river behind and I don't improve.

Hand 2: 1/3 pot. I'd often check that turn behind, as J-10 makes a lot of sense for him there, and you might get him to bluff at it again on the river. I'd bet for value and fold to a raise.

Hand 3: I hate that spot. It's hard to put him on too huge a hand, since he didn't 4bet, but it's all a function of how tricky he is, or thinks he is. A lot of times, this ends up being AQ that misses, or just top pair, but it might be JJ as well. Not to sound cliche, but this is one of those "put him on a range, crunch the numbers in PokerStove" kind of spots to me. That massive overbet is very rarely huge, but then again, that's the only way some people know how to play flopped monsters. I'd probably call and make a note.

Disclaimer: I've never claimed to be good at this game.

Unknown said...

Been a while, Danny....

1. Tough one. You don't worry about a flush yet with the 3 bet and you raising from UTG. But I'm not sure he slows down on the flop if he has KK or AA or a set after you bet into him with a flush draw out there. I think he has AK, 1010, JJ here more often than the hands I'm actually losing to. You might even be up against AQ, but I would expect a reraise on flop. I probably bet at least 1/2 pot, not being happy with how big the pot is getting.

2. With a board like this, I have a hard time (and I mean this as a flaw) giving people credit to check into me on the river with the intention of raising. His check on the river tells me he doesn't have 78 or J10 as he'd try to get some value out of that. I bet $12-$16 and probably give it up if he pushed over the top (or angrily make a crying call).

3. Insta-call unless I had noted this guy made a move like this with good cards before. You are ahead here much more often than you're not.

Scott

noldmax said...

Thanks for the comments...I'll post the results soon.

Mojo, my fantasy teams both got hammered in Week 1, so I can't say they're good. I always load up on RB/WR and sacrifice QB, so I'm depending on guys like Chris Johnson/LT/Pierre Thomas to be be strong and healthy, and guys like Cassell to surprise. It's not looking promising.

Memphis MOJO said...

One week doesn't mean much, even if you were crushed. GL the rest of the way.