Friday, September 4, 2009

August Results and Don't Bluff Me

Although August wasn't a roaring success, it felt pretty good to log the online profit that I did since I started out with a few really awful sessions.



NLHE Online: +$124.66
NLHE Live: -$400
PLO: $26.37
Bonus + Rakeback: $104.81

The Live NLHE number is a bit of an eyesore there, but it basically boiled down to one nasty, brutish, and short session I played last week. I played ok, ran into bad spots, was dealt garbage for 3 hours and went home empty-handed. That was my one and only live outing this month.

Back on the virtual felt, I still have a lot of room to improve. I have been spewing off a lot of chips making bad bluffs lately. I really need to rein that in. Here's a bad one from the other day...

Villain is 25/23/.33 over 79 hands

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
BTN: $25
SB: $25
Hero (BB): $49.09
UTG: $25
CO: $47.84
Pre-Flop: 7 8 dealt to Hero (BB)
3 folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, SB calls $1.50

I won't always 3-bet here, but I often will once I determine that the SB is raising with a high frequency, since it's so hard for the SB to play from OOP when I 3-bet. I'll usually want to be holding something a little stronger than this.

Flop: ($4.50) 2 J 5 (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $3.25, SB calls $3.25

Dry flop is good for a C-bet. Calling range is unlikely to include be bigger than any 2 clubs, J-x, any pocket pair bigger than 55, and sets.

Turn: ($11) K (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $7.50, SB calls $7.50

K is a great card to barrel, but no dice.

River: ($26) 9 (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $12, SB calls $12 and is All-In

When we get to the river and no club falls, I feel confident that I can shove to get my opponent off of a J or any 2 clubs. I'm just hoping he doesn't have a hand like Kc-Xc.

Results: $50 Pot ($2.50 Rake)
SB showed 8 8 (a pair of Eights) and WON $47.50 (+$22.50 NET)
Hero showed 7 8 (King Jack high) and LOST (-$25 NET)

Villain followed this up in the chat box with "Don't bluff me". A belated warning.

Nice call I guess. I guess just b/c I know that I'm capable of 3-betting for value pretty light (with a K for sure) doesn't mean that my opponent does. I guess I just look super polarized, to the point where there end up being more bluffs in my range than monsters.

The same guy turned around and pulled a similar move against another opponent at the same table a few orbits later...

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
SB: $25.45
BB: $42.75
Hero (UTG): $25.50
MP: $34.73
CO: $26.10
BTN: $46.19
Pre-Flop: J A dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $0.85, 3 folds, SB raises to $2.80, BB calls $2.55, Hero folds

Flop: ($6.45) 4 T T (2 Players)
SB bets $4.25, BB calls $4.25

Turn: ($14.95) 2 (2 Players)
SB bets $9, BB calls $9

River: ($32.95) 8 (2 Players)
SB bets $9.40 and is All-In, BB calls $9.40

Results: $51.75 Pot ($2.58 Rake)
SB showed A K (a pair of Tens) and LOST (-$25.45 NET)
BB showed J J (two pair, Jacks and Tens) and WON $49.17 (+$23.72 NET)

I looked this guy up and found that he's a winning player over a good number of hands, so maybe he's on to something, but to me, it looks like he's being awfully optimistic in both of these spots.

I'm still not sure I hate my line, but I definitely plan to make careful note of the types of players who are capable of calling down this light.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

I don't know what all the numbers mean, but congrat$ on a good month.

The Poker Meister said...

On the first hand, a triple barrel bluff is a tough line. The K turn is a great card, you're right. He's not scared by that turn, though. Therefore, I think you need to give up on the river. You really think he's going to fold after going past the commitment threshold? The pot is WAY too big to fold anything of value there. $12 to call into $26... he's committed on the turn. You have position; see a showdown cheaply and move on to the next hand.