Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Hate Trips (Hand Results)

This post includes the hand results from the 2 hands recently posted in which I hold trips and face heat:

H1)
Villain here had solid stats - 17/12/3.0 over 84 hands.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
UTG: $84.70
CO: $32.20
Hero (BTN): $56.75
SB: $50
BB: $60.85
Pre-Flop: 3 K dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1

Standard button steal.

Flop: ($3.25) 8 3 J (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero bets $2.25, BB calls $2.25

Turn: ($7.75) 3 (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5

River: ($17.75) 6 (2 Players)
BB bets $10,
Hero?

2 for call, 1 for raise. This is the type of spot where I will almost always be looking to maximize value. My villain's line is really funny - He check-calls 2 streets on a board with some draws, and then after none of them come in and a blank hits the river, he leads out for just over half the pot. It's tempting to think that this might be a bluff attempt on a missed draw, but if this is the type of guy to get aggro-bluffy with a draw, wouldn't he have stuck in some sort of raise on an earlier street?

It looks more likely to be a value bet, leading the river to ensure that I don't check behind with a middle strength hand like J-x/8-x/99/TT. The most likely range of hands is something like this - AJ/J8/88/66/3-x. AJ and J8 are probably discounted here, since they are vulnerable to overpair hands and are likely to be looking for a cheap showdown. That leaves 88, the unlikely 66, and 3-x. Unfortunately, the most likely 3-x hand here is A3, although I suppose a loose 34s or 35s can't be ignored.

All of that said, I decided to pass up a raise. Something just didn't feel right about that line. I still sort of think I should be raising here, but here's how it played out...
...
...
...
Hero calls $10

Results: $37.75 Pot ($1.85 Rake)

Hero mucked 3 K (three of a kind, Threes) and LOST (-$18.75 NET)

BB showed 8 8 (a full house, Eights full of Threes) and WON $35.90 (+$17.15 NET)


H2)
I'm pretty sure I had some sort of stats on my villain in this next hand, but I don't have them now. So assume a random open-limping type.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
Hero (BB): $26.70
UTG: $12.94
MP: $13.51
CO: $25.15
BTN: $22.49
SB: $3.25
Pre-Flop: Q 3 dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks

Flop: ($1) Q 5 Q (4 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, MP folds, CO calls $0.80, SB folds

Turn: ($2.60) 7 (2 Players)
Hero bets $1.75, CO raises to $5,
Hero?

Pretty gross spot. I have no kicker, meaning that there's almost nothing I can beat here besides a horribly overplayed pocket pair or 7-x (this would definitely classify as Optimistic Misdonkification), or a bluff/semi-bluff. If I'm gonna dig my heels in, then my plan has to be to call here, and then check/call the river. Otherwise, I should fold straightaway to the raise. The one absolutely stupid and donkerrific thing I cannot do is call the raise and then fold on the river. Uh oh...
...
...
...
Hero calls $3.25

River: ($12.60) 8 (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO bets $10, Hero folds

Results: $12.60 Pot ($0.63 Rake)

CO mucked and WON $11.97 (+$5.92 NET)

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Thanks for the followups.

Big D said...

There is nothing worse than hitting the card you want but it infact is better for your opponent than you. I had KK and a third K fell on the river. It gave my opponent a flush and I lost a bucketload of chips.