Friday, August 28, 2009

Reconsidered

Here's a hand that I didn't really think was all that interesting until I took a second look at it. Please examine the point of interest and provide your thoughts. I'll chime in later in the comments.

Villain is 13/11/6 over 118 hands

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
BTN: $26.65
SB: $86.20
BB: $34.30
UTG: $50
MP: $49.55
Hero (CO): $63.90
Pre-Flop: Q Q dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG raises to $1.50, MP folds, Hero raises to $5.25, 3 folds, UTG raises to $16, Hero calls $10.75

4-bet by a tight player. Folding QQ is probably not awful, but nittier than I, frankly, am capable of. I have position and my thinking here is that I can sweat a flop and get it in if AK whiffs. This may not be the best line of thought, but nonetheless, here we go!

Flop: ($32.75) 6 A 2 (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($32.75) 7 (2 Players)
UTG checks,
Hero?

6 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

I don't see the value of betting. Most of the time, he either has a monster or you have him beat and he has very few outs.

WillWonka said...

I believe I am looking to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. This is KK many times. If you bet here; you're going to have to bet it all on the river.

I think I prefer to check here and call the river based on bet size, if any.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first two comments. At this point, I try to just check it down. Your chance to front an Ace was on the flop. After passing that up, he's not going to believe you have it anyway. If he calls your turn bet and then checks the river, are you willing to make a large bet? If not, just try to check it down.

Hef

noldmax said...

So in the actual hand, I checked behind, and then also checked behind another undercard on the river. Villain showed down KK and I lost the pot.

Afterwards, I started to feel kind of stupid for how I played it. I think we can safely assume that Villain's 4-bet range is pretty much only QQ/KK/AA/AKs, where it will tend to be weighted towards AA and KK.

On the flop, villain could be checking with his entire range, so there is definitely no reason to bet there. But once he checks the turn again, I think it is much less likely that he is holding AK. With AK there, you want to get in 2 bets and ensure that you get my full stack. AA might wait one more street since there is only 1 more A out, making an AK/AQ hand that much less likely.

So then, if villain doesn't have AK, then we are left with 3 combos of AA, 6 of KK, and 1 QQ. Seems to me like a great spot to try to turn QQ into a bluff. But to do it, we have to bet the turn. If we wait until the river, then our story doesn't make much sense either, and I think villain calls our river bet.

Next time I get into a spot like this, I'll probably try betting about half pot on the turn, and then the rest on the river, assuming a K doesn't fall.

noldmax said...

Hef, I agree that it will probably take 2 streets here to win the pot. But I don't think he can call 2 barrels here, given how often I have AK when I do so (and how rarely I have QQ).

Anonymous said...

I think you need to bet that flop. AK will almost always bet that flop. AA will most likely check because he wont want to loose action. QQ & KK will sometimes c-bet, sometimes check. There just isn't that many AA combinations compared to QQ & KK, so you need to bet and fold them out.