Sunday, December 14, 2008

Blinded By The Blinds

One great thing in poker is seeing your flaws exposed, and then slowly learning how to correct them. Even better is, once having corrected those flaws, being able to recognize and exploit the same flaw in others.

The flaw, in this case, is overplaying your hand in a blind battle. See my flaws here. Saying that I've corrected this flaw is a stretch, so I won't try to draw any grand conclusions. I'll just say it's a real pleasure to turn the tables and watch someone blow up in a way you have so many times in the past...

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG: $30.70
MP: $58.60
CO: $60.55
BTN: $81.45
SB: $48.75
Hero (BB): $50

Pre-Flop: J 7 dealt to Hero (BB)
4 folds, SB raises to $2, Hero calls $1.50

J7 suited is a borderline call here, but being in position is a huge advantage heads up.

Flop: ($4) 3 7 6 (2 Players)
SB bets $3, Hero calls $3

I considered a raise here, but I don't want to bloat the pot, and I'd like to see a safe (non-face) turn card.

Turn: ($10) J (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero bets $7, SB raises to $24, Hero raises to $45 and is All-In, SB calls $19.75 and is All-In

Gin. I guess my opponent thinks I'm firing for value with a 6 or 7 here, but I would almost never do so in this spot. I guess in a blind battle, top pair 4th kicker must seem like the nuts.

River: ($97.50) 2 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $97.50 Pot ($3 Rake)

SB showed J T (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-$48.75 NET)
Hero showed J 7 (two pair, Jacks and Sevens) and WON $94.50 (+$45.75 NET)

No comments: