Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Stack Is Floating Away

Deceptive title - I've been winning lately at $.25-$.50 6-max. My BB/hour win rate is much lower at this level than at $.10-$.25, but my $/hour win rate is slightly higher. So I'm at the right place. I haven't had a lot of interesting hands recently, although I'm tempted to post some more hands just to demonstrate how bad some players are and how easy it can be to make money if you can find them and wait for a hand.

When I've been losing lately, it's almost always against aggressive floaters. I'll get picked off a few times and won't necessarily make the right adjustments to my game. So I keep raising hands like A7s and 89s and when I don't connect, I'll let the floater just continue to take away pots that are ~8-12 BBs large. When I'm not hitting flops against these types, I think I should probably be mixing in some bluff-check-raises on later streets, since I earn credibility by folding to several floats in a row. But I haven't had the nerve to pull the trigger.

But on the flip side, I've had a really amazing run of winning big pots. It seems every time my whole stack is on the line, I've been on the right side, and I've avoided suckouts too. I can say I haven't been stacked in my last 800+ hands. But I'm still susceptible to being whittled away at. I'll have to try to mix in those aggressive late-street raises and report back on how that works out.

I'll be back in a few days with some poker goals for '09.

No comments: