Monday, January 11, 2010

2010 Goals

Goal time again.  Kind of a tired blogger trope, but it's still valuable if you plan to use it as a motivational tool.

The biggest question mark for me is what game will I play?  I will definitely be starting out with PLO, but it's hard to say whether or not I'll wear out on it and want to get back into NLHE again.  I'll try to make my goals general enough to encompass whatever game I end up playing.

Quantifiable Goals:
1. Don't go broke (based on my online BR as of Jan 1).

I consider this to be very modest, since I am starting with a good bankroll for the 25PLO and 50PLO that I'm playing.  The real test of this goal is to drop down in levels if I see my roll taking a major hit.

2. Play at least 2500 hands each month.
This is another relatively easy goal, seeing how manageable it was in 2009.  But I need this goal to keep me going through 2010.

3. Finish at least 10 months out of 12 + in profits.
Okay, finally a reasonably tough goal.  This one will require that I really play consistently well.  Well enough to overcome variance and fight back from tough stretches to keep my monethly totals in the positive.

4. Withdraw 30% of my profits for each $500 in profit earned.
This is more like a rule than a goal.  But I guess I need at least $500 to make it happen, right?

5. Climb my bankroll up at least $2000 and start playing 100PLO/NL.
I guess this represents my real money-making goal.  And given that I'll have to make a much higher monthly win rate than I currently make to hit it, it's a reasonably tough goal.  Which makes it a good one.

6. Keep accurate records of live play.
Modest goal, just need to execute.

Other Minor Goals
1. Quit when tilting.
2. Have at least 1 $250+ MTT score.
3. Put together another WSOP tourney challenge.

1 comment:

noldmax said...

I agree that goal #3 will be tough. I may give myself the benefit of factoring rakeback into the equation (as it should be, since it is technically a portion of my winnings).

I tend to play closer to 5K hands per month, so that gives me a little more room to overcome variance. But you're right, to some degree I will be subject to the whims of variance, regardless of how well I play.