Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pre-WSOP Rebound

I'm going to make a gradual attempt to revive this blog to a semi-regular posting state in the leadup to my Vegas trip during the WSOP (that would be June 19-23). There's a lot to catch up on, and I'm going to resist the urge to try to knock it all out in one post. So expect a couple of short posts while I get back into the groove and figure out how to layout where I am and where I'm heading in the world of poker.

I've been gone for a number of reasons, but I've been playing plenty. So why no posts? First, I think I just needed a break, in order to take my limited free time and put it all towards play.

Second, I was running thin on strategy content. Just before I started my hiatus, I was playing almost exclusively Rush PLO (.10-.25), and I hadn't gotten a full handle on how to play the game well. I was running through my processes in posts here, but it was very raw. I've played for 3 straight months since then, and my understanding of the game was progressed considerably.

The third reason I took a break was because I had an awful month in March and got burnt out. I have since plugged some leaks and turned things around. My confidence is high and I'm really enjoying the PLO action.

So that's that. I'll gather my results from the past few months and post them in a few days.

I can't get back into posting without a little hand history. So here's one to remind all that despite my professed confidence and recent win streak, I can still be a massive bonehead in big PLO pots:

Full Tilt Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com
BB ($25)
UTG ($27.50)
MP ($10.14)
Hero (CO) ($25)
Button ($37.56)
SB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9s, 5d, 10d, 7d
1 fold, MP calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, 1 fold, BB checks

All 3 options are OK here IMO. It's a borderline playable hand, but I should probably prefer raising to limping. That said, I do use a mixed strategy that includes limping hands with big pairs (increase likelihood of set-over-set occurrence) and also limping from up front with strong-but-non-premium hands when I don't want to get 3-bet or to bloat a pot from OOP.

Flop: ($1.10) Kd, 5s, 8c (4 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: ($1.10) Js (4 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $1.10, Button raises to $4.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $3.30

I bet after picking up a wrap on the turn and then get raised. I should have broken it down like this: villian either has a big made hand or a draw. KKxx is possible, but he probably bets it on the flop to start building up a pot. JJxx makes sense and fits the line. He also could have picked up a big draw on the turn with something like QT9x with spades. Does he makes this big raise with KJ or some other 2-pair? Maybe, but this should probably be discounted.

In sum, I'm either behind against made hand, facing a bad spot on the river even if I hit, since I probably have to lead out and give villain a clear chance to get away. I also face the possibility of hitting my straight on a flush card, which would put me in another bad spot. The final possibility is that I am badly dominated by a bigger straight draw. Pretty rotten altogether, should be a fold.

River: ($9.90) 5c (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $9.90, Hero calls $9.90
So here we are...I've missed by draw, but rivered bottom trips. I check and villain pots it. The essence of the grossness of this spot has been highlighted. Consideration #1: The big pot-sized bet on the river usually means a monster. Why bluff for full pot when you can bluff for less. Consideration #2: Villain wouldn't be bluffing a counterfeited 2-pair hand. It has good but vulnerable showdown value, so why fire big? Consideration #3: Draws should be discounted on the turn, since villain has to fear that I have a big hand that might re-pop him off of a draw. Of course, I didn't think of that until long after the hand was over.

Not much in the way of good reasons to call, but that didn't stop me.

Total pot: $29.70 Rake: $1.48
Results:
Button had Jh, 4d, 8d, Jc (full house, Jacks over fives).
Hero had 9s, 5d, 10d, 7d (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Button won $28.22

I'm back and as bad as ever!

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Welcome back. GL at the WSOP.

The Poker Meister said...

Good to see a post from you! Was wondering what happened to you...