Monday, January 5, 2009

Half Circle

For balance's sake (or at least partial balance, since I haven't been able to fully recover my losses from the other night), I have to post a couple of hands from last night where I was able to put my opponent's in some tough spots that were very similar to those that I faced recently.


Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
Hero (BB): $75.90
UTG: $59.95
CO: $52.05
BTN: $52.50
SB: $16.75
Pre-Flop: A Q dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, CO raises to $1.75, BTN folds, SB calls $1.50, Hero raises to $7, CO calls $5.25, SB folds

Flop: ($15.75) 4 8 T (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($15.75) 8 (2 Players)
Hero bets $12, CO calls $12

River: ($39.75) Q (2 Players)
Hero bets $56.90 and is All-In, CO calls $33.05 and is All-In

Results: $105.85 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed A Q (two pair, Queens and Eights) and WON $102.85 (+$50.80 NET)
CO mucked J J (two pair, Jacks and Eights) and LOST (-$52.05 NET)

My check on the flop is probably the reason I'm able to win my opponent's stack in this spot. If I lead the flop, I can't stand a raise, and if I get called and then check the turn, I'm folding to any bet. The line I took here seems to put my villain off balance, so that when I push the river, he must put me on a bluff, or maybe a 10? Don't know, but the overpush on the river still looks more like a bluff to a lot of players out there at this level. Which is good for me, except for when I'm misreading it from the other end (sigh...let's make that a New Year's Resolution then).

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
UTG: $50
CO: $56.10
BTN: $60
Hero (SB): $52.20
BB: $67.85
Pre-Flop: K K dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, CO raises to $1.75, BTN folds, Hero raises to $5.75, BB folds, CO calls $4

Flop: ($12) 9 4 9 (2 Players)
Hero bets $10, CO raises to $50.35 and is All-In, Hero calls $36.45 and is All-In

Turn: ($104.90) 7 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
River: ($104.90) 2 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $104.90 Pot ($3 Rake)
CO showed Q Q (two pair, Queens and Nines) and LOST (-$52.20 NET)
Hero showed K K (two pair, Kings and Nines) and WON $101.90 (+$49.70 NET)


Villain takes a similar line to the one I took against AA, opting to not 4-bet PF, wait for a good flop, and then make a move. And the flop couldn't be better. Villain corrects my mistake of committing with a raise while not producing the fold equity of an all-in push, but since I know he's taking this same line with 1010-QQ, it's a snap call. I snapped it off about as fast as I could possibly click.


I'll let you know when we get from half circle to full circle. It'll take a few more of these types of hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your result on the first hand, but I'm not sure the push on the river is the right play. Wouldn't have Ace-face of spades, or 10-10, have played the hand the same way? Raise pre-flop, check a great flop for them, and then smooth call the money turn card that makes their hand and hope that you bet again on the river. Alternatively, the 2 good things about your play are that 1) it looks like a bluff, and 2) it eliminates the possibility of a tough decision if you value bet $10 and then he pushes all in.

Hef

noldmax said...

Hef, You may be right. I'm behind a decent bit of my opponent's range, including 88, 1010, QQ-AA. But I'm assuming those hands would have played more aggressively leading up to the river...that's the key point. I highly doubt those hands play so weakly. So I think he has 99, JJ, maybe even J10 some part of the time.

But still, my opponent has to be a donkey to make the call. He's only beating AK, AJ or complete air. So save this move for the bad players, and extract value with a smaller bet against tougher competition.