Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm Back and I'm Broke

So I'm finally recovered from one of the most agonizing weeks of physical pain in my life. Imagine having an intense lower back pain that won't go away, no matter what position you are in or how you massage it. I initially thought it was a back spasm until 3 hours had passed without a hint of relief. Thank God for painkillers, as I think I would literally have lost my mind had I gone on the way I was feeling there. In a nutshell, that's what a trapped kidney stone feels like.

Anyways, I finally get a chance to jump on and play some cash poker, and after about an hour I take a big hit on the following hand (sorry no HH... writing from the office) - 6-handed, .25-.50, I'm on the button with JJ, it folds to me, I make a standard pot-size raise to $1.75, the SB calls, and the BB raises up to $8. In this spot, given the possibility that my opponent put me on a standard steal and is making a pretty standard squeeze, I think a call is pretty much always in order. Having position makes it all the more correct. So I call and the SB calls as well (curious), so we see the flop 3-handed with $24 in the middle. The flop comes 2-3-4 rainbow. The SB checks, and the BB checks. So I feel pretty good here. Because how can the BB check with a bigger PP than JJ with that type of flop, with that much money in the pot? So I bet $22, leaving about $25 behind. And the SB instacalls! The BB takes his time bank and then moves all-in. Now I don't really like my spot at all, but there's $90 in the middle and I am calling for $25 more. That's almost automatic. So I call, and so does the SB. The cards turn up 1010 for the SB and QQ for the BB, I miss my 2 outs, and I'm down a buy-in. Well played by the BB, but risky checking that flop.

Nothing really too strange there, but it was frustrating and got me just tilted enough to decide that I felt like I playing a bigger game to try to hit a big payday. Now if you've been reading here, you've seen that I play at consistently small stakes (at which I am decently profitable overall), that I don't really encounter very wild swings, and that I almost never play beyond my roll. But a moment of weakness came over me, and I decided to sit down at a $100 buy-in, $0.50-$1, full ring PLO game (I know, completely insane, right?). Within an hour I had blown through the remainder of my Full Tilt account balance. I went broke for the first time since starting this blog, the first time this year I believe.

Now technically, I didn't go broke. For one, my true bankroll (i.e., the true amount of money that I am willing to lose playing poker) is always a bit bigger than what I have in my FTP account at any given time. Secondly, I had just xferred $100 over to friend Dave before going on my bender. But still, as of this moment, my account is empty and I am in the position of needing to deposit a bunch of bills to get my game started again.

On the positive side, I can take a swipe at PLO and partially absolve my NLHE game. And then, I need to start over.

But, I have a baby due in the two weeks. Man, what a bunch of spinning wheels and going nowhere. Well, at least in terms of online bankroll. The next time I post I'll be back to square one. Talk to you then.

No comments: