Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Allergic to 50NL

Through the first half of February, I was down almost 10 buy-ins at 25NL, but I've been on a steady upswing, registering 6 straight winning sessions for at least a buy-in each. So I figure that today, I can start playing one 50NL table alongside 2 or 3 25NL tables. Well, I find it hard to believe that the level of play at 50NL is that much different from 25NL, but my results sure are. I dropped 2 buy-ins over about 80 hands. Here are the two big hands I played in that short stretch...

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
BTN: $79.15
SB: $72.90
Hero (BB): $62.50
UTG: $51.85
MP: $55.70
CO: $30.70

Pre-Flop: A Q dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, CO calls $0.50, BTN raises to $2.25, SB folds, Hero calls $1.75, CO calls $1.75

Flop: ($7) 7 8 A (3 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets $5.50, Hero raises to $17, CO folds, BTN raises to $36.50, Hero raises to $60.25 and is All-In, BTN calls $23.75

Turn: ($127.50) 7 8 A [ K ] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($127.50) 7 8 A K [ 3 ] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $127.50 Pot ($3 Rake)
BTN showed A K (two pair, Aces and Kings) and WON $124.50 (+$62 NET)
Hero showed A Q (a pair of Aces) and LOST (-$62.50 NET)

I'm pretty sure this was just a cooler and I ended up against pretty much the worst hand he could possibly have (short of something Kh-Jh), but yell at me if you disagree.

The action gets crazy in the next one, so I'll try to explain my thinking...

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter
UTG: $168.45
MP: $54.95
Hero (CO): $50
BTN: $50
SB: $62.85
BB: $35.05
Pre-Flop: T A dealt to Hero (CO)
2 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, BTN calls $1.75, SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1.25

Flop: ($7) 7 4 T (4 Players)
SB checks, BB bets $7, <-- BB leads for pot. This is usually a draw, since strong made hands will usually check-raise rather than lead into 3 other players. I figure I can raise here to try to isolate...I expect BB to call, and I should be able to evaluate future streets in position.
Hero raises to $17,
BTN calls $17, <-- This is almost always a flush draw or combo draw, since a set is making another raise and not wanting to peel more cards. Good news, since they be stealing each other's FD outs.
SB folds, BB raises to $33.30 and is All-In, <-- Ugh, not great, since 2-pair is also in his range, but I stick with my draw read and make the call.
Hero calls $16.30,
BTN raises to $48.25 and is All-In, <-- This doesn't change anything, just makes it more likely he has a big, possibly nut, flush draw, and I'm obviously priced in.
Hero calls $14.95 and is All-In

Turn: ($136.80) 7 4 T [ T ] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($136.80) 7 4 T T [ 6 ] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $136.80 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed T A (three of a kind, Tens) and WON $29.90 (-$20.10 NET)
BTN showed J A (a pair of Tens) and LOST (-$50 NET)
BB showed 8 9 (a straight, Ten high) and WON $103.90 (+$68.85 NET)

Maybe my reads were overly optimistic but they turned out to be on the money. I won't usually get it in like this with TPTK with AT, but the situation was unique. I was a 43% favorite, with AJ at 35% and 89 at 21%. Interestingly, if the AdJd were instead AdQd, I would be 36% and the AQ 43%, so I was greatly benefited by my opponents' J outs cancelling out.

As it went, I lost the main pot to the rivered straight, but won a $30 side pot, and only ended down $20. Anyone hate my play or reads here?

4 comments:

spritpot said...

I don't think you played either hand poorly. Hand 1, you might want to re-raise preflop. Postflop I wouldn't hate just calling down either as you're unlikely to get a whole lot of action from worse hands (maybe AJ/AT with a heart kicker) and you're never really folding out better (unless this is a tight player that might be convinced to lay down AK to a big turn bet if he just calls your flop check-raise).

Hand 2 another line would be to just call this lead bet, depending on the type of player you're up against. You risk getting bluffed, as well as losing action from a 99/JT/A7 type of hand if a scare card falls on the turn. But on the other hand you keep the size of the pot under control and you can increase your equity by getting money from draws with only one card to come rather than two. If you're able to pull it off optimally, it's probably more +EV to play the hand this way, but also more difficult. Given how the hand played out, there's nothing wrong with getting it in on the flop 100 bbs deep. If you were 150 or more deep, this would be bad IMHO.

-bruechips

noldmax said...

Bruechips,

You've highlighted 2 different approaches that are more cautious, and that forego FE and may lead to more difficult decisions on later streets. Interesting, but I wonder if opting for less complexity and more aggression isn't preferable.

In hand 1, I guess the way I looked at it was that I wanted to raise to get a fold from hands like AK or AQ (no clubs), and value from hands like AJh, ATh, KKh. Once the flop 4-bet goes in, I'm best off just pushing the rest in. Am I not losing too much fold equity and value by calling instead of raising, when it is very likely I am in a great position? It's not a bad line, but I wonder if I let my opponent off free, allowing him to check later streets and get away cheap if a 4th heart hits.

If I call and a 3rd player comes along, then I feel like I haven't narrowed my opponents' ranges enough, and there are a ton of scare cards that could fall on later streets, including any diamond, any J, Q, K, even 3, 6, 8, which all complete OESDs. I guess this is what you mean in saying that this line is more difficult to play.

Thanks for the comments.

spritpot said...

In hand 1, I don't think AK will ever fold. Maybe an AQ without a heart. So in that sense, you have zero fold equity since you never fold out any better hands. Which play is better comes down to how likely you are to induce a 3-barrel bluff and how likely the opponent is to stack off on the flop with a worse ace. Also by calling down, I meant just check/calling three times. Once you check-raise, it seems like a pretty simple decision just to get all the money in there.

Hand 2, you have highlighted the difficulty of playing the hand less aggressively. You've put in less money (potentially) but have gotten less information. Although really, how much have you narrowed down opponents' range by raising the flop? I think they get it in with both draws and overpairs/sets, so you haven't really protected your hand or defined anyone's range. If that's the case, you might as well wait until turns where you're still ahead of most of the draws to get the rest of the money in.

noldmax said...

Ah, the fade-n-go(TM) then? I can see the benefit to that. But I'm not sure that the AJ NFD doesn't make a big raise in this hand if I smooth call the lead out. Nevertheless, it's a good idea, and I have been looking for a spot to try the fade-n-go. I'll report if/when I pull it off.